Saturday, September 4, 2010

Blackpool

Sorry, I havent posted for a few days. We have been visiting and travelling and I havent had the opportunity to get on the computer untill now. Ill do a few separate posts to bring you up to date. Here is the first one....
On Tuesday we headed north to Blackpool, one of the seaside resorts of my childhood. We got a late start, as our hire car was only ready at noon. Then we got lost a couple of times. Lets just say, we took the scenic route. We passed signs for Bolton, where I lived the first 9 years of my life. It was a strange feeling being there as I have not been in the area for 31 years. I was wishing Carol could be with me to share the memories.


It was dark by the time we got to Blackpool. As it turns out there was a bike ride going on along the main promenade. Blackpool has the promenade lit up at this time of year with thousands of lights. It is very pretty at night. I can still hear my dads voice saying "BLACPOOL 'LUMINATIONS!!!" All the roads leading to the hotels were blocked off and we couldnt get into our hotel untill 10:30pm. Hundreds of people and children were enjoying riding under the lights. 

Finally we got in to our hotel, which was really lovely. This was actually Keith and My 25th anniversary. But we were to tired to celebrate by then and promtly collapsed into bed. I was also feeling rotten because, due to our late arrival, I had missed the chance to meet up with a long lost cousin, who I havent seen since before we immigrated. 
In the morning, we had a stroll along the beach. It was a gorgeous morning and the sea was sparkling blue. Heidi was advertizing her Canadian-ness with her red tshirt. For you non-Canadians, the verse on her shirt is a line from the Canadian national anthem.


It was such a clear day that we could see for miles. It was warm enough thet kids were already getting into the water. Unfortunately we did not have our 'Cozzies' with us. Besides we had to get going. We went back to the hotel to pick up our car. They served us elevensies. The girls enjoyed playing up the whole English Teaparty thing. After the tea was all gone, we piled in the car and headed off to Scotland.

No comments:

Post a Comment